Live Voice Writer
The National Captioning Institute
Live Voice Writer
We anticipate that our next training class will begin in May.
We have numerous shifts available, many of which include non-traditional hours. Please note that due to broadcast demands, all shifts include at least one weekend day.
The Live Voice Writer uses voice recognition technology to create broadcast-quality closed captioning for a variety of media outlets, including several major television networks. As a voice writer in training, you will develop your enunciation skills and train the software to understand and correctly interpret your voice, all with the ultimate goal of producing accurate live, real-time captions. This requires you to simultaneously respeak what you hear in a way that maximizes clarity and content. In order to develop your own knowledge of what you will hear and respeak, and to prepare the software for terms you will be using, you will spend time researching the topic of your broadcast, which could include reading about current events, verifying the correct spellings of names in the news, etc. When you are not on air or preparing to be on air, you will train on new programming genres, especially a variety of sports.
We are looking for applicants with:
- An undergraduate degree, preferably in Communications or English, or relevant work experience or certification in broadcasting, captioning, or court reporting
- An interest in providing media access to millions of closed captioning users
- The ability to read, write, and speak English with a native proficiency
- A clear speaking voice and excellent enunciation skills
- The ability to make quick judgments and work under deadlines
- Proficiency in PC-based computer applications
- Quick and accurate research abilities
- The readiness to work independently, with limited supervision
- The willingness and ability to work overtime, holidays, or as needed according to broadcast schedules
The National Captioning Institute offers:
- Paid Leave/Vacation
- Medical, dental, and vision
- A friendly, casual work environment
- A structured training program
- Potential for limited work from home
- The opportunity to provide a valuable service
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to recruitVA@ncicap.org.