Government Agency Media Access
What is Section 508?
In 1998, legislation was passed requiring all federal agencies to make their electronic and information technology accessible to individuals with disabilities. Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act mandates that all Federal agency training, information, multimedia presentations and productions be made accessible through captioning and/or video description if they contain audio and/or visual information necessary for content comprehension. Federal agencies have a definitive statutory obligation to make all electronic and information technology, whether produced or procured, compliant with Section 508. The Americans with Disabilities Act ensures the same access is provided at the state and local level.
In 2010, the Section 508 standards were modernized by the Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act to incorporate more online video including those delivered using Internet protocol or IP. Find out more here about how NCI is working to deliver live captions online.
How can NCI aid my organization in becoming 508 compliant?
- Outstanding quality that ensures your information is clear, concise, and easy-to-follow
- A large, professionally-trained captioning staff able to handle volume and quick turnaround
- Compliance with Section 508 and ADA requirements
- A one-stop source for broadcast and Web-based media access services
- GSA Schedule contract and special low government rates
- Confidence that your work will be done accurately and on time using any one of our available caption delivery systems
Contact us today to see how NCI can help ensure your content can be accessed by everyone regardless of viewing platform.
“Americans with disabilities are Americans first and foremost, and like all Americans are entitled to not only full participation in our society, but also full opportunity in our society.” – President Barack Obama, 2010